Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Morning Alchemy

"When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed"
THE ALCHEMIST, page 134


You have a message and big ideas worth sharing.

Rock-solid, time-tested stuff you really know something about.

With people you sincerely want to help.

More often than not, however, you are disappointed when your generous offers of free guidance and direction are not only rejected, but the very individuals you cared enough about to try and assist, silently mock and scorn your efforts.

Behind your back.

Sound familiar?

If so, can you explain why you keep handing out parcels of wisdom to those who clearly don't appreciate gifts you have so carefully selected and are willing to present - for the low, low price of FREE? Do you really enjoy banging your head against brick walls of human ignorance so much that you just can't seem to stop?

Or, is it possible this trail leads to another destination you are not aware of?

Hang on.

This is going to get interesting.

Especially since I don't have a clue myself exactly where this post leads.

Looks like we're in this one together.

About six months ago, I was tipped off about a book and an author that someone saw great value in and cared enough to share with me. At first, I was tempted to brush off the messenger and the suggestion, like so many of the other book recommendations I get, but something about this individual told me she was worth listening to and her gift was not something to be frivolously tossed aside. So I made a mental note, followed by a relatively short two- week period of procrastination.

"I really should look that guy up and see what his book is all about"

On a Saturday in late October, a copy of Paulo Coelho's masterpiece was in my hands.

Several hours later, its message had rocked yet another world.

On, November 9, 2009, its message was shared in this forum, but in a quiet, understated way just to see how it would ripple through the TSB blogosphere. The reader feedback was loud and clear. This was a direction worth pursuing. On January 4, 2010, the message was laid out once again - this time, in plain, no uncertain terms -in the first post of the New Year.

Here are some of the signals that have registered with a number of your fellow TSB readers:


From: Facebook [mailto:notification+mgm2wsnx@facebookmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 7:48 PM
To: Gair Maxwell
Subject: Thank you!

Good evening, Gair.

I hope all is well, in your world. I'm writing to thank you for a couple of things. I am a reader of your blog. I'd like to say I do it daily, but that would be a fib. I get to it when I have a few moments, then read back to the place I had left off on my previous visit. I have now found two items, thanks to you. The first was the Monday Morning Memo. That I read faithfully, as soon as I get out of bed on Monday morning. The second was The Alchemist. I read about it yesterday morning, in your blog, then rushed over to Chapters to pick up a copy. That was at 2:00 in the afternoon. Between browsing two football games and a Raptor's game, I finished the book by 11:00pm. It has instantly become a favorite of mine and I would say will have profound life changing impact. Once again, I thank you!

Have a great week!
Kevin


Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 12:36 PM
To: gmaxwell@fundygroup.com
Subject: The Alchemist

Gair,

Wow! What an enlightening, inspiring book!!

Since our meeting I have been immersing myself in The Alchemist as well as the other articles and videos you sent my way, and although I have yet to realize my Personal Legend, I can feel myself relaxing, breathing, and taking joy in experiencing my journey.

As for The Alchemist, where do you begin? Every line was so insightful and not only relatable to my life-but relatable to where I am in my life. Coelhos simple writing style reflects his simple messages. He doesnt allow the petty things in our lives to be used as excuses the way we so often rely on them in order to drown out what our heart is saying. The message is clear. Follow your heart, listen to it, go after your dream and dont let anything stop you. If love is real in your life then there is no reason to fear leaving it, which is something I personally struggle with. I know in my life I have drowned out my hearts voice in order to make someone I love happy, and I can foresee me doing this in my future in order to stay close to my loved ones.

Santiago was extremely brave. He sold his sheep, which was his family, his status quo, in search of his personal legend. He let nothing stop him from falling off his path and showed true patience along the way. I can become very impatient with my life at times (I want to start living for real as I once thought) but it took years for Santiago to reach the pyramids and it was what he learned along the way that allowed him to reach his final goal.

Thank you again,
Mallory


Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:54 PM
To: Gair Maxwell
Subject: the alchemist

Wow.... You know what... I see a lot of myself and the last year and a half in this book. And I can see how you, just like I did, related with this story. There were lots of doubts in the road to where you are, and to what you have achieved in your life. There's a shit load of leaps of faiths in this uncarved, professional career that I'm still trying to create for myself.... Thanks for the reference, I really enjoyed the couple of hours I have spent reading this book!

Can't wait to have talk to you about this!
Alain



Self-discovery is a long, jagged road, often leaving you feeling there is no end in sight. However, the treasures within you on this Monday are nothing compared to the ones that await you on many Mondays to follow.

You may have already discovered that many people you interact with on your journey will sacrifice fulfillment for conformity. Only a select few will choose to follow roads that are there for the taking and dream without caution. That's why when you share a message you believe in - let's say to a hundred people or so - you will be fortunate to find even one person who will accept that which you have freely given and actually do something to dramatically improve their life and the way they impact people that surround them.

But, this is why you continue to share messages you believe in.

With people you care about.

So that one day, they will have an opportunity to thank you.

Just as I am doing today.

With heartfelt love and appreciation,

Gair


"You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It's just a matter of paying attention to this miracle"
PAULO COELHO



Originally posted March 8, 2010


p.s... A year after making the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in 1986, unknown author Paulo Coelho wrote "The Alchemist" and published it through a small Brazilian publishing house who made an initial print run of 900 copies and decided not to reprint. Refusing to abandon his dream, Coelho subsequently found a bigger publishing house, and "The Alchemist" went on to sell more than 30 million copies, becoming one of the best-selling books in history. It has been translated into more than 67 languages, earning Coelho the Guinness World Record for most translated book by a living author.







http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

Want Gair to speak to your organization or at your event?
Visit www.gairmaxwell.com

1 comment:

Alain said...

It is absolutly impossible for a story to reach everybody the way you intented that story to reach them... But that one persone's life you change, that one vision you make clearer, that one belief you strenghten with one idea, one phrase or even one word placed so meticulously in a story with a specific wisdom yoy want to share or an emotion you want to triguer overshadows all the mockeries. Altho every rock is defferent, you have the power to move moutains with your words and help somebody somewhere achieve a wish, a prayer, a thought. Than makes the jus always worth the squeeze.

You have change the way I walk, talk, think and dream. You dramasticly changed my world for the better. Let the haters hate, and the dreamers believe. Keep talking.... I'm listening!

TARZAN


'Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine' Elvis Presley