Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mufftastic Branding

It’s time to get personal ladies.

Very personal.

Today's subject originated from a Toronto friend who called one day to exclaim, "You won't believe what my sister got as a wedding present". Once the hysterical laughter died down was she able to share the news about the name of a new product line:

"I Love My Muff".

"Did she just say what I thought she said?"

"I Love My Muff".

"OK, I did hear it right the first time".

I will confess, the brand name had me hooked.

Instantly.

Here is the down-lo.

Vancouver entrepreneur Ritz Clinging (is that her real name?) has created a line of feminine care products that promise an all-natural, non-toxic, vegan experience for care down there. Apparently, there isn’t a single chemical or petroleum based preservative to be found.

Through her efforts to find high quality products to address her own feminine care needs, Ritz realized that there was little available that was not drugstore bore or clinically cold. And that's where she saw the branding opportunity that existed; providing a product mix with bright and bold packaging, that represent a statement of confidence for the modern woman.

What do you think?

Has "I Love My Muff" pushed the envelope too far?

Or is this a mufftastic form of branding that speaks to what customers really want?

And part of a bigger trend that other brands have figured out?



"Advertisers in general bear a large part of the responsibility for the deep feelings of inadequacy that drive women to psychiatrists, pills, or the bottle"
MARYA MANNES, "But Will It Sell?", 1964


www.gairmaxwell.com

www.seamlessbrand.com

No comments: