Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Help!!! ... I'm Stuck!!!

People are stuck.

Living, texting and tweeting faster, but going nowhere.

Faster.

They're stuck.

In dead-end, energy-sucking jobs. In boring or fake social circles. In mediocre or shitty relationships.

For any number of reasons.

Fear. Comfort. Denial. Regret. Guilt. Ya-da-ya-da-ya-da.

With little or no sense of who they are and who they're supposed to be.

When you're stuck, the reasons don't matter much. You know you're stuck and that's why yesterday's TSB posting, "Inspired or Motivated?" produced a question the Twitter/Facebook world is unable to answer for you.

Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 5:36 PM
To: 'Gair Maxwell'
Subject: RE: Today's TSB Posting ..."Inspired or Motivated?"


What happens when you can’t seem to get motivated or inspired?? What do you do and where do you go to get your Mojo back??
“Sigh”
N.

The timing of the question is ironic in the sense that Roy H. Williams touched on the subject in yesterday's MondayMorningMemo with respect to what he defines as a "limiting factor".

Regretfully, an honest question such as the one posed in the e-mail cannot be answered in a complete fashion as one would like in a forum such as this, but TSB provide some direction, beginning with the insight offered from Roy's memo:

"The problem with our century is that we are constantly distracted; “Too much to do, too little time.” Writing dictates a frame of mind we rarely experience today. Writing moves us from the emotional confusion of right brain, abstract thought*, to the logic and clarity of left brain, analytical thought. This is why we think writing is difficult".
ROY H. WILLIAMS

Deeper, self-reflective questions require a deeper level of self-exploration. In other words, if you really are stuck and really, really want to know answers, how deep are you prepared to dig? How many loads of dirt will you sift through to answer the biggest question of them all?

"Why do you do the things you do?"

Seriously.

Failure to ever address and answer that question is keeping millions stuck in lives dominated by jobs, mortgages and a mundane existence bearing a striking resemblanceto just another episode from "Seinfeld".

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

But, if you are serious about digging in, doing the work and cracking your own personal "Why?" code, Simon Sinek is a guy worth investing in today. Simon has a knack for simplifying complex ideas and is best known for developing The Golden Circle, a model based on the biology of human decision-making.



If you're truly stuck and can't seem to free yourself, ask yourself another question.

Am I prepared to do the work that is required?

Otherwise, head back to the Twitter/Facebook world right now just to see what hundreds of your stuck, Costanza-like "friends" are blabbering about in their status updates.

But, if you answer "yes" to the idea of rolling up your sleeves, will you make a commitment and slow down to a complete stop? Do you possess the steely resolve of self-discipline to enter a dark inner world of silence where the glittering diamonds of your creativity exists?

It's your choice.

Unplug from the wired world.

Grab a shovel in the form of a pen and start digging.

And discover a bountiful treasure chest of answers buried within.


"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death"
LEONARDO DA VINCI

http://www.gairmaxwell.com/

http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

6 comments:

The No Games Experience said...

Great post Gair.

East Coast Gal said...

It is indeed ironic that I also just posted a blog about multi-tasking and how writing is my antidote. If you want to read it, visit http://www.writenow-communications.ca/writenowcomm/Blog/Entries/2010/5/4_Just_say_“no”!.html.

Thanks for this post Gair!

Ian Varty said...

I agree completely. When I write creatively (for myself), I'm in complete control of my world. When I write regularly it changes the way in which I view the world on a daily basis. The world around me is my resource and I appreciate its bounty...and it is unbelievably bountiful.

I have neighbours who are idiots, but now they are a resource for my writing and thinking. They are the lead characters in the novel in my mind. I love them because they're such a source of de-inspirational inspiration. Writing can turn 'the bad' into 'the good'.

Writing frees your mind and allows the impossible. And don't say that you can't write; you can. You just need to be patient and allow your writing to develop.

Heather Hindle said...

I remember my "morning pages" with deep affection. How stupid it seemed at first and then, almost magically, my life came into focus and re-focus. Thanks for reminding me/us.

Lenny Boudreau said...

Good reflection in this post. Funny thing is about 2 years ago I was sitting with my coach, a man I looked up to greatly. I noticed he had downgraded his blackberry so a simple phone and when I asked him why he told me he was just tired of information overload, feeling like he had to answer everything right away...

And you know...altough I never had the balls to pull that move off just yet, Ive been tempted ever since...

I remember working an 8 hour shift and feeling it would never end...Now the days just fly by with the to do list carrying over from one day to the other...

Great insight...

Nausika said...

Gone Digging!!
Thank you Gair