Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Art for Life

"I love to paint. . . . Mmm-hmm. Most of the time I have all these thoughts bouncin' around in my head... but with a brush in my hand, the world just gets kinda quiet"
ALLIE HAMILTON, played by Rachel McAdams in "The Notebook"


The moment you walk into his home, you can feel it.

You have entered a world of simultaneous motion and stillness.

Where only you get to decide what works and what doesn't.

Because the walls will speak to you in a language only you can decipher and appreciate.

You have joined a friend for a java and a jaunt, escaping the urban rat race if only for a few moments to unshackle your imagination and luxuriate in the free-flowing world of abstract art. While conducting a tour through his well-stocked gallery, the artist modestly admits he started to get to get "serious" about his hobby only after someone close to him thought he was crazy:

"I recall painting when I was very young, but never did anything for years until my wife started buying art online. When the first couple of pieces arrived, I told her I could do this kind of stuff and she laughed at me. That's all it took. One night while she was at work, I went out and purchased all the necessary material and painted what I consider the first original Matt LeBlanc. I pulled a little prank on her by taking a picture of the painting and placing it in an eBay template and showing it to her. She responded by saying that we should buy it".

No one is laughing these days as Matt Leblanc's original paintings grow in popularity throughout Canada, the United States and other parts of the world. So far, upwards of 400 pieces have been shipped from his home-based gallery as Matt keeps the artist within alive and well.




This artist is committed to his craft.

So much so that he recently launched the Matt LeBlanc "Art for Life" Campaign with a goal to raise $25,000 for cancer research. Inspired by the memory of a 5-year old sister taken by this terrible disease, Matt has pledged to create 200 original paintings in a 6-month period. That’s an average of 1.1 paintings a day for 184 days with all profits donated to the annual Tree of Hope Campaign.




"All children are born artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up.
PABLO PICASSO

4 comments:

DesignTies said...

I found your blog through Susan's blog, Susan on Design -- and what do you know, the first post I read here is about my friend, Matt!!! How cool is that?! I've written a couple of posts about Matt and his work, and later this week we'll be announcing a giveaway in support of his Art for Life Campaign :-)

I also happen to own four Matt LeBlanc original abstract paintings :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

qerat said...

I found your blog today and it is already in my favourites Love your style in writing and your topics.

Susan said...

I was very pleasantly surprised to see your post on Matt, the very next day after I referred to you on my blog.

He's a wonderful artist. And I knew Kelly, who follows my blog would get a kick out of it. I've read her posts on Matt in the past.

It's funny how the blog sphere brings people together.
cheers
Susan

Gair Maxwell said...

Really appreciate the feedback and the way Susan has spread the message about this blog to her readers ... Many thanks and hope to keep hearing from you ...

Gair