Monday, May 25, 2009

Digging Into Twitter

"It's one of the fastest-growing phenomena on the Internet"
NEW YORK TIMES
"Twitter is on its way to becoming the next killer app"
TIME
"Suddenly, it seems as though all the world's a-twitter"
NEWSWEEK


Will Twitter fly?

And, if so, how high will it soar?

These are questions TSB is hearing more and more lately as reports indicate new Tweeters sign up at amazing rates, but many leave the microblogging nest just as quickly.

According to Nielsen vice-president of primary research David Martin, Twitter’s retention rate is only about 40%. And while Twitter is still just a “fledgling,” Martin also points out that when both Facebook and Myspace were emerging like Twitter is now, “their retention rates were twice as high” with retention rates at almost 70%.

Perhaps, the low retention rates are a reflection of older users wondering what the fuss is all about, signing up and then flocking off.

The 35-and-over crowd represents a very different demographic from the one personified by Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht when they were discussing Twitter on Diggnation back in April of 2008.



Do Kevin and Alex look like guys with a lot of time on their hands?

You may or may not Digg what they have to say about Twitter, but there is no disputing Tweeting can't be beat when it comes to communicating breaking news or personal emergencies.

Another perspective on Twitter that might be worthy of closer inspection comes from personal branding superstar Marina of http://www.hotforwords.com/.



What do you think?

Is Twitter flying on sad wings of destiny?

Or landing in a soft spot on your blackberry heart?


"Letting users control your site can be terrifying at first. From day one we were asking ourselves, 'What is going to be on the front page today?' You have no idea what the system will produce. But stepping back and giving consumers control is what brought more and more people to the site. They have a sense of ownership and discovery at the same time. If you give users the tools to spread and share their interests with others, they will use them to promote what is important to them"
KEVIN ROSE, Founder, Digg.com


http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

2 comments:

cfmoncton said...

I was introduced to this site a week ago by a very intelligent lady, and I'm very glad she did. This site is chocked full of fantastic information and resources.

I own a small gym in Moncton and it's internet based. I have a blog, where I post daily workouts. It has many links and resources that anyone can access. There's also a spot for comments, such as this site. I encourage members to post their results and feelings about the workout. It's grown into a close-knit community of like-mind people.

I particularly like the last part of the quote from Kevin Rose. As a result of reading through this blog and becoming inspired, I created a newsletter for my members. One section is an athlete profile. People LOVE seeing picture of themselves, especially doing amazing feats of strength and endurance. I also opened it up to member input. It allows members to write about issues that matter to them and share it with others.

Anyway, excellent blog Gair!

Oh, and I'm not a fan of Twitter.

Gair Maxwell said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts cfmoncton ...always appreciate the feedback, good, bad or indifferent on this blog and the subject areas we touch on.

Frequently, we get e-mail comments that I will copy and paste verbatim into this section, and one such comment appeared yesterday from a guy known as "Steve". Here is what he had to say:


"That was an interesting post on Twittering. . . even though many come on it then go off it – each week it still grows larger and it will last as long as it is still interesting.

What I find very interesting is how the different groups are using it to market. You have stores, news groups, ML sales groups, spammers (easy to spot),Social groups and special interest groups, etc. Even industry has found a use for it. So if people do not using it – it’s because they have no idea on how to us it with benefits.

For me, what I like is the amount of info I gather from the people I follow.

Most important: I can control who I follow and what I give out. I don’t think I will be getting rid of twitter anytime soon.

I guess I’m amazed at the amount of people who have no idea what Twitter is all about."

Thanks

Steve