Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The '64 Hangover


Imagine being a teenager on this day in 1964.

You are still feeling somewhat intoxicated from something you saw the night before in your own living room. A rite of passage like no other.

It happened innocently enough.

You were kicked back and relaxing in front of a black and white TV set that suddenly came alive with a sight and sound you would never forget.

Mom and Dad likely turned up their noses while you jumped to turn up the volume.

45 years ago, you would have experienced the morning after the night before.

Everywhere you went that day, the kids at school couldn't stop talking with drunken enthusiasm about what they had seen last night on the "Ed Sullivan Show".




"Beatlemania" erupted the morning after.

Every girl wanted to be with a Beatle.

Every guy wanted to be either John, Paul, George or Ringo.

It's been said that almost everyone watching the night before grabbed an instrument and started a band. Since that fateful TV appearance, the Beatles have inspired and influenced musicians from one end of the musical spectrum to the other, including Everclear, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Jerry Garcia, Elvis Costello, Brian Wilson, Neil Diamond, Rush, Jimi Hendrix, KISS, Skid Row, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Jeff Lynne and ELO, Nirvana, Los Lobos, Guns 'n Roses, Oasis and Run DMC.

"I tell you, if it wasn't for me seeing them (The Beatles) that night on 'The Ed Sullivan Show', I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing right now. I might not even be alive. I credit them with creating a lot of my life" BILLY JOEL

"I was playing guitar before I heard The Beatles, but as I got older and listened to their tunes I realised they were amazing. They inspire me more now than they did when I was a kid and are still the greatest" NOEL GALLAGHER

"If not for “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, I don’t think I’d be doing what I’m doing now, It just completely flipped me out. I found this interesting
looking cover, put the album on, and fell madly in love…still today, that
album is like the smell of play-doh to me, it’s so familiar. When I was
little, there was some click, like from joy to some very serious passion,
that happened to me listening to Sgt. Pepper”
DAVE MATTHEWS

45 years ago, the morning after the Sullivan Show was the beginning of a tidal wave of change that forever pushed the boundaries of pop culture.




“The Beatles continue to evolve with the passing of time and how wonderful that The Beatles’ legacy will find its natural progression into the 21st century through the computerised world we live in. Let the games commence" RINGO STARR


http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

No comments: