Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Great Scott


As soon as he walked by, I knew it had to be HIM.

After all, how many others could there be? There could only be one of this kind.

I had stumbled across this story in cyberspace about 6 or 8 months ago, and now, out of nowhere, here he is, staying at the same hotel, just walking by minding his own business. Instantly, I knew, I had to make an approach and get the scoop on Scott.

Meet Scott Ginsberg.

The ONLY person in the world who wears a nametag all day and every day.

Not just at conventions and seminars. A nametag ... 24/7/365!

It all started out as an experiment in November of 2000 following a college orientation event. For some reason, Scott looked at the piles of discarded name tags sitting in garbage cans after the event and decided right then and there to keep his on. As he shared with me that day, "Some people see trash, others see treasure".

Scott never thought it would lead to this ...



Scott has transformed wearing a nametag into a successful business and is the author of seven books including HELLO, my name is Scott, The Power of Approachability, How to be That Guy and Make a Name for Yourself. In 2008, Scott launched his Online Training Network, NametagTV.com., an interactive learning community that teaches approachability through video modules, message boards and other tools. As one of the youngest members of National Speakers Association, Scott delivers keynote speeches and seminars to tens of thousands of people each year and has shared the stage with bestselling authors/speakers like Jeffrey Gitomer and Jim Collins and has worked with a client base that includes Boeing, Staples and Verizon Wireless.

Scott Ginsberg has no trouble stating a case, of which he is certain ... the importance of just DOING it. If you get a great idea, just START. Once you figure out what you want to do, all that matters is doing it, learning as you go, screwing up and making mistakes but eventually you figure things out. Originally, Scott just wanted to have a little fun with the nametag gimmick, but before long it became much more. It became a quest to change the way people interact with one another. Scott thinks people have lost the ability for simple interaction (like greeting one another in the street.) So, his theory is that with his nametag, he makes himself more approachable and easier to talk to.

As of this posting, Scott Ginsberg has worn a name tag for 2,870 consecutive days.

He is 28 years old.

"There is no reason to think that age is a barrier. I mean, I read five books a week. I write five hours a day. I ask a lot of questions. I have got a bunch of mentors. I mean, I am a lifelong learner, and I think that there is lot of stuff you can do, especially the young entrepreneur can make the learning curve nonexistent". SCOTT GINSBERG

Learn more at: http://www.hellomynameisscott.com/landing.aspx

Evidently, Scott Ginsberg has taken "personal branding" to an entirely new level but I think his insight into the way we interact with each other reveals much more.

Is there a lesson in his story that speaks to a larger concept than the way we remove invisible barriers with people we meet each day?

Has Scott demonstrated how to release the shackles of conformity that prevent us from discovering our authentic selves?


"For what is a man? What has he got? If not himself - Then he has naught. The record shows I took the blows And did it my way". PAUL ANKA


http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

3 comments:

hellomynameisscott said...

Thanks for the link love!

Tim Hortons rules

Gair Maxwell said...

My pleasure Scott ... I beleive your story captures the essence of what Leonardo DaVinci was once quoted as saying "Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"

I'm hoping your story inspires all of us to try and see the simple beauty that stares us in the face each day.

Gair Maxwell said...

My pleasure Scott ... I beleive your story captures the essence of what Leonardo DaVinci was once quoted as saying "Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"

I'm hoping your story inspires all of us to try and see the simple beauty that stares us in the face each day.

Actually, just finishing off a Tims (extra large - just milk) as we post ...