Friday, August 29, 2008

The Truth Flirts

"You do what?"

"And, you've turned that into a business?"

Every once in a while I am stunned to hear a remarkable business idea that is both astonishingly simple in concept, yet so brilliant in appeal. Call it a blinding flash of the obvious.

Let me explain.

Earlier this month, I am attending a business conference and bump into Elizabeth, an outgoing sort of gal who instantly struck me in the initial ten seconds with her charming British accent, and lively, yet profesional demeanour. The positive first impression is then re-inforced when I notice the way she makes solid eye contact, smiles warmly and displays a genuine interest in the person she is meeting. Even when it comes to small talk, little things do mean a lot.

Within a minute of this conversation, I ask Elizabeth a standard networking question ..."So tell me, what do you do?"

"I'm a professional flirting and charisma expert. They call me the Flirt Guru and I teach people how to banter more effectively in a business context so they can seal more deals and get promoted".

Hmmm ... tell me more.

"It all comes down to the fact that if somebody likes you, they are more likely to want to do business with you. Whether you are flirting or networking, you are using exactly the same skills - only with different results.

Elizabeth founded her company, Rapport Unlimited, because of her experiences as a human resources manager. "You would find directors who were competent, on paper, but in person, God! Zero charisma." As this mother of two from Manchester UK explained to me, business ‘flirting’ is not about sex. It’s being more skilful in the way we communicate with each other, an intricate blend of body language, appearance, attitude and confidence. Her corporate training and speaking work serves a diverse range of clients in Europe including, Daimler-Chrysler, Bank of Scotland, KPMG, Royal Air Force, Gillette, Sandals, Xerox and others.

Here is the "Flirt Guru" doing what she does best.



Author of the highly acclaimed "Single to Settled", learn more about Elizabeth and how she is helping to change the business world one eyebrow flash at a time at http://www.flirtguru.com/

More than just someone who truly lives her brand, what I admire most about Elizabeth is the incredibly simplistic, yet brilliant way she discovered her gift, nurtured it, took a few chances and turned it into her profession. Her career choice and the path she is following made me recall a quote from Leonardo DaVinci who once said "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

What is your true gift?

Are you sharing it through what you do for a living?

Do you ever stop to think about what it is you were meant to do?


http://www.seamlessbrand.com/

No comments: